Choosing The Best Sausage Stuffer Of 2017
If you have the penchant for making your food from scratch, you might also want to consider making homemade sausages. You can save money by making own sausages instead of buying commercial ones.
Importantly, you get to control the quality of ingredients you put into your sausages.
Fortunately, making sausages isn’t a complicated affair. Just mix in ground meat with spices and seasonings, then stuff them into casings. The first half of the process is easy enough, but a lot of things can go wrong without the best sausage stuffer.
A sausage stuffer is a device used to stuff ground meat into the casings. The stuffer often comes with tubes where the casings are inserted. The ground meat moves through the hopper, right into the tube and then fills the casings.
But, can you make sausages without the stuffer?
The short answer is yes. You can manually fill the casings by hand until you’re done. But that would certainly take a lot of time. Additionally, this could also result to awkwardly-shaped sausages that don’t cure properly.
This is where the sausage stuffer comes in. The device does most of the stuffing work so you can make huge batches of sausages even in a few hours.
How Does A Sausage Stuffer Work?
The mechanisms of a sausage stuffer are fairly easy to understand. First, you mix the ingredients for your sausage and place this into the hopper.
Attach a stretch of sausage casing into the mouth or tube of the stuffer. Rotate the crank or start the device so it starts pushing the mixture into the tube where the casing awaits. The mixture will fill the casings in no time, and you can produce links upon links of sausages with less effort.
How To Pick A Sausage Stuffer
Whether you’re a seasoned sausage maker or a newbie in this field of food preparation, picking the right sausage stuffer matters a lot.
A number of important considerations must be made before choosing the best stuffer for your needs. It’s important to take a look at these factors first before your money changes hands.
Manual Vs. Electric
First, you need to decide whether you want to hand-control the stuffer or automate it. A manual sausage stuffer is often cheaper than its electric counterpart.
It can also handle a small to moderate batch of sausage stuffing. You will need to operate the device personally for it to function. It gets the job done but certainly not at the speed of an electric one.
Electric stuffers can be more expensive. Commercial-grade electric sausage stuffers can climb above $1,000.
However, some electric stuffers cost $100 and above. Using an electric stuffer eliminates manual labor from the stuffing process. You’ll also be able to fill the sausage casings in a shorter period.
Capacity refers to the amount of ground meat the device can hold and stuff. Look for the capacity of the cylinder and pick the desired capacity.
Some cylinders can hold 3 lbs of ground meat, but others go as large as 11 pounds. If you’re always making sausages in huge batches, the larger the capacity, the better.
However, also take into consideration that such stuffers also require larger counter top space.
Sausage stuffers come into two directions: vertical and horizontal. A vertical stuffer stands upright and requires lesser space on your counter.
However, shorter people might find using a vertical stuffer more challenging to use.
On the other hand, a horizontal stuffer uses more space, but it’s comfortably reachable by people who lack in the height department. There is no wrong or right orientation choice, but you can decide on what is more comfortable for you.
Material And Construction
Various brands and models use different materials in their sausage stuffers. Some use an all-metal construction from the base to the tube. Other use plastic material.
There are also others that use a combination of both metal and plastic. Consider a stuffer with a solid metal base for stability and high-quality stainless steel all throughout. Plastic-made stuffers may be more inexpensive, but do gauge its durability and quality.
Variety Of Stuffing Tubes
Pick a sausage stuffer with detachable stuffing tubes so that you can change them up on a fly. It helps to have various choices of stuffing tubes especially if you make a variety of sausages in different sizes.
Lastly, consider how the stuffer stands sturdily in place as you make sausages. Take a look at the base design and see if it has some securing mechanism so it’s stable and sturdy as you use it. Some models use clamps to secure the stuffer onto the counter while others have pre-drilled holes.
5 Best Sausage Stuffers Reviewed
An efficient stuffer can make sausage-making at home more fun and less of a chore. We’ve rounded up 5 of the best sausage stuffers in the market alongside their merits and drawbacks.
Hopefully, these reviews will point you in the right direction and help you choose the best sausage stuffer according to your needs.
The LEM sausage stuffer is one of the best choices for stuffers owing to its excellent design and sturdy construction.
It is made of a solid metal base and stainless steel body. The stuffer also comes with two clamps, so it attaches solidly to the countertop and allows for a smooth and streamlined stuffing process.
One of the most remarkable features of this LEM sausage stuffer is that it has smart air release valves that reduce/eliminate air from entering your casing. It also comes with three different detachable tubes so you can make sausages quickly in various sizes.
The removable cylinder and detachable parts also make this stuffer easy to clean.
- This sausage stuffer is competitively-priced for the efficiency and results that it deliver.
- Its all-metal construction makes it sturdy, durable and efficient.
- The removable cylinder allows for easier refilling of ground meat and cleanup afterward.
- It’s also great that most parts are detachable so you can clean them individually and prevent the risks of contamination.
- The cylinder is designed to hold 5 lbs of ground meat. You need to divide a large batch of sausage to smaller ones and load them up into the cylinder. You probably have to repeat this process a few times until done with stuffing The plastic-made piston is at risk of cracking and sustaining stains.
The New VIVO sausage stuffer is a manually-operated device with a vertical orientation. This model can hold up to 7 pounds of meat in its cylinder and is perfect for small to medium batches of sausages.
It also comes with four plastic nozzles ranging from 10mm to 40mm so you can instantly pick a desired sausage size.
The new VIVO sausage stuffer has a remarkable all-metal construction, including the piston. This makes the device durable and useful for a longer period.
The air release valve also helps ensure that there are no air bubbles trapped inside the sausage casings. Lastly, you can tilt the stuffer and remove the cylinder for easier refilling.
- It is made primarily of metal and stainless steel which makes it more durable even for stuffing sausages in a regular basis.
- The device is easy to use and handle. It can stuff sausages efficiently in a short period.
- Hold 7 lbs of ground meat at any time. It is an excellent choice whether you’re making a small to medium batches of sausages.
- The four detachable nozzles give you more options on sausage size.
- It is quite heavy at 14.8 lbs. It also requires more countertop space than other models.
- No securing mechanism that will hold the stuffer in place as you stuff sausages.
This is one of the best sausage stuffers you’ll find below $100 but still provides outstanding results. It has a remarkably thick metal base that makes it more sturdy.
Most parts of the body are also composed of stainless steel. The Kitchener sausage stuffer is also designed to fit most kitchens without taking up too much counter space.
Additionally, this sausage stuffer looks simple and straightforward. It operates simply, too. It comes with three detachable nozzles so you can swap from thick sausages to thin ones on the fly.
Simple, efficient and straightforward, this is probably one of the best options that your hundred dollar bill can buy.
- It is remarkably cheaper for a stuffer that’s constructed mostly of metal and stainless steel.
- The durable construction promises many years of use.
- It comes with pre-drilled holes so you can secure the stuffer in place and make it stable during the stuffing process.
- The piston is constructed out of plastic material. This makes the piston prone to cracking or damage due to temperature fluctuations.
This Sportsman sausage stuffer is just a few dollars shy from costing $200, but the trade off are its large capacity and durable construction. It has an impressive 11 lbs capacity which is ideal for people who like to make huge batches of sausages from scratch.
Furthermore, the Sportsman MHVSS 11-Pound Sausage Stuffer is designed to stand vertically on the countertop and take lesser space.
It’s also incredibly lighter for its capacity. The cylinder can swing in and out for refilling while the two gears allow you to pick a suitable stuffing speed.
- It comes with a solid build, sturdy feel, and modern design.
- This stuffer is lighter than other models with the same capacity.
- It also comes with a huge capacity of 11 lbs which is ideal for making big batches of sausages.
- It is more expensive than stuffers of the same model.
- Some users complain about difficulty in cleaning this stuffer. Some meat tends to get stuck and can pose a risk of contamination without proper cleaning.
This Hakka vertical sausage stuffer is highly-rated for its price and features. The stuffer is durably built with metal and stainless steel.
Even its piston is made of metal, whereas other brands would use plastic. It comes with 5-7 lbs capacity and is perfect for medium to huge batches of sausages.
The device also features two stuffing speeds so you can pick a great pace. The cylinder also tilts in an out for convenient refilling. Overall, the device looks solid, sturdy and modern.
- The metal parts are graded with SGS food hygiene.
- It also comes with a stainless cylinder and base for hygienic use and easier cleanup.
- This stuffer is remarkably solid and sturdy.
- It is also equipped with air pressure valves that allow air to escape and avoid messy blowouts.
- The devices seem heavily lubricated with oil. It is important to clean the device and remove all the grease before your initial use.
The LEM Products 5 Pound Stainless Steel Vertical Sausage Stuffer stands out in this list of best sausage stuffers for excellent reasons.
First, it has a competitive price point but doesn’t skimp on great features. Its solid construction, air release valves and overall modern look make it a perfect choice. You’ll also appreciate the fact that most parts are detachable for easier cleaning and maintenance.
The LEM sausage stuffer weights on the heavy side, but it’s just a minor drawback and not a total deal breaker. This can indeed be a great investment for avid sausage makers who are looking for an easier and streamlined stuffing process.