Is Chili A Soup: What Are The Best Soup Recipes For You?
Is chili a soup? This is a very valid question. Soups are known to be light and mellow. This is because soups are either served as an appetizer or a means to wash off your palette. This is also why it might seem a little absurd for some, to use chili as a main soup ingredient.
However, with the right recipes and condiments, you can actually come up with amazing soup recipes that use chili as the main flavor. As for people who are not that fond of spicy foods, chili soups do not have to be outright hot. We have ways to fix that!
Chili Is Actually Good For You!
Contrary to what a lot of people believe to be harmful when taken, chili is actually good for you and your health. It is very common to hear that chili causes gastric problems, sets fire to your mouth or gives you hemorrhoids.
However, when taken in moderation, chili is actually beneficial to your intestines, heart and even your metabolism. Some studies show that chili can help strengthen stomach lining and prevent gastric damages caused by anti-inflammatory painkillers.
There are also studies that show how chili contains vitamins and nutrients that help fight off cancer, diabetes and cardiovascular diseases. However, again, it is important to take everything in moderation. Because too much of anything would be bad for the health.
Chili Soup Recipes To Try
Just as we mentioned earlier, you only need the right condiments and recipes to make a good chili soup fit for your taste. Now that you know the benefits of chili, here are several recipes you can try at home:
#1 Meaty Tex Mex Chili Soup
- Ground beef
- Sausage (optional)
- Canned kidney beans
- Canned black beans (optional)
- Diced green and red chili
- Note: In exchange for both the kidney beans and black beans, you can actually use Hunt’s Pork and Beans.
- Step 1: Slice up the sausages in small bite sized portions. Then, dice one piece of green chili and red chili. However, if you want to keep it mellow, take its seeds out to reduce the spiciness. Lastly, chop some onions.
- Step 2: Rinse and drain the black beans if you choose to include them in the recipe but leave the canned kidney beans undrained. However, if you choose to use Hunt’s Pork and Beans as your substitute, you can simply just skip this step.
- Step 3: Heat the pan first to medium heat. Saute your ground beef and sausage with the onions and chilis with no oil. Lightly season with salt and pepper. However, let the ground beef produce its own fat as that is what will give the soup its hearty flavor.
- Step 4: Add all the beans, the Mexican style tomatoes, taco seasoning and hot pepper sauce. Finally, add some water. Do not be afraid to experiment with the consistency as long as it is to your liking.
- Step 5: Put the lid on and let it simmer until it thickens. It should be a little thick as that is the ideal consistency we are looking for in a meaty Tex Mex Chili Soup.
Serve while hot!
#2 Thai Tom Yum Soup (Vegetarian Chili Noodle Soup)
- Lemon Grass
- Coriander/Kaffir Lime Leaves/Cilantro (optional)
- Vegetable Broth
- Oyster Mushrooms/
- Vegetable Oil
- Rice noodles
- Chili paste
- Lime juice
- Step 1: Lightly chop some lime leaves, cilantro or coriander (however, cilantro and lime leaves work best with this recipe). Then, mince some garlic and ginger, and set aside.
- Step 2: Heat the vegetable broth with some lemon grass stalks and wait until it simmers. On a separate pan, heat oil with medium or high heat (just lightly oil the pan).
- Step 3: On the separate pan, saute the garlic, chili, ginger and mushrooms. After caramelizing, add the sauteed ingredients to the simmering vegetable broth. However, make sure to remove the stalks first. Add the chili paste and lime. Stir until it simmers again.
- Step 4: On your soup bowl, assemble some fresh tomatoes and leaves. Also add your softened rice noodles. Then finally, add your vegetable stock and serve while hot.
In The End
From meaty Tex Mex soups to light Tom Yum soups on a rainy Friday night. These are simple recipes you can make at home and incorporate chili with. If you are creative enough, you might even be able to create your own chili based dish that’s not only delicious, but also healthy and affordable.